#1 ~ We will review a couple of the irregular verbs
#2 ~ We will continue our story about Taro and Miki...
#3 ~ We will take a look and discuss Premium Fridays
#4 ~ There will be a little bit of listening practice from the textbook mixed into the lesson
#5 ~ We will finish the Taro and Miki Story
Here are a couple notes from this week's lesson...
Now…To help you memorize … or remember the irregular verbs…
We’ll do a little practice….
Now again….For these we need the
#1 ~ present
#2 ~ past
#3 ~ kakobunshi
For each verb of these 12 verbs….
1. “okiru” ~ wake up ~ woke up ~ woken up
2. “kangaeru” ~ think ~ thought ~ thought
3. “erabu” ~ choose ~ chose ~ chosen
4. “taosu” ~ beat ~ beat ~ beaten
5. “hajimaru” ~ begin ~ began ~ begun
6. “kamu” ~ bite ~ bit ~ bitten
7. “okane ga kakaru” ~ cost ~ cost ~ cost
8. “ochiru” ~ fall ~ fell ~ fallen
9. “kaze ga fuku no fuku” ~ blow ~ blew ~ blown
10. “motte kuru” ~ bring ~ brought ~ brought
11. “oshieru” ~ teach ~ taught ~ taught
12. “horu” ~ dig ~ dug ~ dug
1. What is “overtime” in Japanese?
#1 ~ “zangyou” ~ overtime
#2 ~ “hataraki sugi” ~ overwork
#3 ~ “genkai” ~ limit
Besides Taro’s regular 40 hours…
2. How much overtime does he tend to work a week?
*He tends to work 20 hours
*He tends to work 20 hours of overtime
*He tends to work 20 hours of overtime a week
The Japanese Government has tried to limit overtime…
5. How many hours will the government try to limit overtime to?
*It will try to limit overtime to 100 hours
*It will try to limit overtime to 100 hours a month
*They will try to limit the amount of overtime to 100 hours a month
What do you think?
6. Is 100 hours of overtime still too much?
*Yes, it is.
What do you think?
7. What SHOULD the maximum overtime be?
*It should be half
*It should be under 2 hours a day
*It should be 10 hours a week.
*It should be 1 hour a day max
There is a 2nd problem in Japan….
If people are always working…
8. What aren’t they doing?
*They aren’t using money
*They aren’t spending money
And…If Japanese people don’t spend money…
9. What is that bad for?
*It is bad for the economy.
*It is bad for the Japanese economy.
The Japanese government has a plan…
If we take a look at this news clip…
What will this announcer say…
10. What does the government want Japanese people to do?
The government wants Japanese people to…
*It wants Japanese people to work less and spend more…
#1 ~ work less
#2 ~ spend more
Spend more money
One second…Another quick vocabulary check…
#1 ~ “encourage” ~ hagemasu
Encourage + O + to + doushi
#2 ~ “hajimaru” x3 ~ #1 ~ begin
#2 ~ Start
#3 ~ Launch
#3 ~ “takameru” ~ boost
Taro can finally meet Miki at the Italian restaurant today because…
11. What has the Japanese government recently launched?
*It has launched the Premium Friday
*It has launched the Premium Friday campaign
12. What does this new campaign encourage Japanese people to do?
Encourages + O + to + doushi
*It encourages people to leave offices early
*It encourages people to leave their offices early
*it encourages people to leave work early
*It encourages people to go home early
Sounds good and…If we listen a little bit more…
13. When can people leave the office early?
*People can leave work early on the last Friday of the month
*People can leave work early on the last Friday of every month
*People can leave work early on the last Friday of each month
How about the time…
14. What time can they leave the office? (0:07~0:08)
*They can leave the office at 3:00
*They can leave the office around 3:00
The campaign encourages people to leave their offices earlier…
What do you think?
15. What can people do with the extra time?
*They can drink
*They can travel
*They can see a movie
*They can do their hobbies
*They can rest
Sounds good…and…If we take a quick look…
16. What does the government hope that people will spend more money on? (3 things)
The government hopes that people will spend more on
#1 ~ shopping
#2 ~ dining out / eating out
#3 ~ taking a trip
17. What could the spending help boost?
*It could help the economy
*It could boost the economy
*It could help boost the economy
Alright and…If we take a look…
19. How long has the government run this program for?
*It has run it for 1 month
*It has run it since February 24th
OK...Well...I hope you have time to study ...Good luck and see you in class....Good night....ZZZZZzzzzz.....