Canadian Voice

Canadian Voice
Beaver

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Devil Card ~ Jaiko 2 ~ June 22 ~ June 28

Well...Here we go .... We will start this week's lesson at the point where Jaiko has quit her ballet lessons and is eating a lot of greasy food.  She is about to put on a lot of weight....

This week will be looking at:
Page 5 ~ Blue New Interchange Text
be / get used のあとに、不定詞 (to do /to driveなど) を使うことはできない。
 *She is used to driving on the left.  [×She is used to drive]

be used to のtoは不定詞ではなく、前置詞である。従って、次のようにーing形を使わなければならない。
 *Frank is used to living alone. [×Frank is used to live]
   *Lisa had to get used to driving on the left. [×get used to drive]

I am used to doing と I used to do を混同しないように注意。
I am used to (doing).......は、「・・・・・・に慣れている」という意味である。
 *I am used to the weather in this country. (私はこの国の気候に慣れている)
 *I am used to driving on the left because I've lived in Japan for a long time.

I used to do......は、「かつてよく・・・・したものだが、今はもうしていない」を意味する。これは過去について述べる表現で現在の状況を表すには使えない。[×I am used to do]

 *I used to drive to work every day,but these days I usually ride my bike.
 (以前は毎日運転して仕事に通っていたものだが、最近はたいてい自転車で通っている)
 *We used to live in a small,but naw we live in Los Angeles.

Nicknames
Did you used to have a nickname?
What was your nickname?
How did you get it?
Who used to call you __________?

Get used to something

Diets and Losing Weight
If you were Jaiko, how would you lose weight?
Have you ever been on a diet?
Have you ever been to a gym?
What kind of exercise did you do at the gym?
How much weight did you lose?

The Preposition ~ on
On?= wearing
Pattern 1: verb + on + noun
Nana has on a school uniform.
Ayako put on her new shirt.

Pattern 2:  verb + noun + on + noun
She put the ring on her finger.
He had a hat on his head.

Typical verbs:
Get, have, keep, try, put, wear

On?= can show behaviour towards something
     *The teacher is much too easy on the boys.
Pattern 1: be+ adjective + on + noun
*The boys were rough on Jaiko yesterday.

Typical nouns after on:
easy, hard, rough, soft, strict, tough
On?=can show membership in a group
Pattern 1: be+ on +the + noun
*Nanase is on the track and field team.
*I was on the tennis team.
*I am on the committee.

Typical nouns after on:
Board, committee, council, list, payroll, staff, team

On Phrasal Verb
pick on (non-seperable) ~ (いじめる)
That boy is a bully.  He always picks on everyone.
That teacher likes the boys but picks on the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment