Canadian Voice

Canadian Voice
Beaver

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Some students have asked me about my arm....

Some students have asked me about the strange mark on my right arm.  They asked if it was a birthmark.  (うまれつきのあざ)No, it isn't a birthmark.  It is actually a scar from a smallpox vaccination. 

Now...the kid in the picture below is me!!!!  If you look at my arm, (don't look at the bananas on the counter and don't ask why I am in a sink) you can see a red spot.  That is the scar from the shot.


The smallpox vaccination is given with a two-pronged needle that is used to prick the skin of the upper arm several times.

In 3-4 days a red, itchy bump forms on the skin.

In the first week the bump develops into a blister.

In the second week, the blister dries up and it turns into a scab.

In the third week, the scab falls off, leaving a scar.

And again ... that scar is what you see on my right arm....

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment